3.30.2008

What have I gotten myself into?



Last week, I visited my parents' house in Pennsylvania. My dad was showing off his new cuckoo clock, a clock he bought to replace the one they lost in the 1972 flood. I remembered a photo of that clock on the water-damaged wall of our old house, so I went digging. And digging. And digging. Finally I found it! The clock my dad bought recently is almost exactly like the one my uncle had brought back for us when he was stationed in Germany in the late 60's. Very cool.
Anyway, while I was looking through all the pictures, I asked my dad if I could take them home to organize them and get them out of the bad albums. The above pictures are all the photos I could find in their house. There was no storage plan there. Some of the photos have been in albums since the 70's and 80's. More recent photos are still in their packages or in rubber bands. Every so often, a photo from 1945 is mixed in with packs from last year. Pretty much in every drawer I opened, no matter what room of the house, I found pictures.
I have my work cut out for me. I think that I'll organize all the photos chronologically and then digitize them--or maybe just some of them. And with the digital photos, I'll create some digital scrapbooks for my parents and my sisters. The photos themselves will go into storage all together and organized by year. This is the plan. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: